Saturday, September 12, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

Okay, so I have a birthday coming up and I’ve been asked to provide a few ideas, so I’ve been shopping for lenses. I’m currently using my kit lens most of the time, but also mix it up with the Canon 70 – 300mm when the need arises. I’m pretty happy with the results I’ve had from both, although the 300mm can be a tiny bit soft at full extension, and is kind of tricky to keep steady. Hey, I’m still fairly new at this, so I’m thinking I’d like a few more toys to play with. The question is, what do I want out of my lens?

I did some reading and research and I’ve narrowed it down to two.

First, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens. You can find this online for $90. That’s not a typo. $90! This lens is all about the aperture. Reviews and photographers I’ve spoken to all say this lens is tack-sharp -even wide open- and that the bokehs it can produce are remarkable. Canon also offers an f/1.4 version for more than three times the price of this one, so I’m thinking this may be a good point for me to start with the option to upgrade later. Downside? It’s a prime lens. No zooming into a subject. I don’t think this is a deal breaker, but I’m having trouble visualizing myself without a zoom.

Second, the Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR ZL Di LD Aspherical (IF) lens. A little pricier than the 50mm. Okay, a lot pricier. $370 ish, depending on where you look. More research and reading. Lots. Most reviews hail this as a great everyday lens, sharper in the corners and center than its Canon competitor. It’s got the versatility of a small zoom and covers most of the range my kit lens does. Not quite as wide, but it is slightly longer and I do tend to want to pull in for most shots. Most photographers say it’s great in low light. Cons? Well, no USM, so it’s a bit noisier. In addition, those with great love for the Canon lenses say this one feels a tiny bit cheap.

Well. I’ve written myself into a quandary. Both of these lenses sound great. Both could be great everyday lenses – just in very different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment